Keeping Current Matters, one of the many real estate news services to which I subscribe, just published its recent real estate sales figures.
I wanted to dig deeper, though, to understand what’s happening in the north side Chicago real estate market.*
Here’s what I found…
The number of homes closed in the last 12 months was over 12,000 – well above the low in 2011 of 7779.
Homes are selling quickly – on average, homes sold in 75 days this year.
Median Sales Price
The median sales price of homes sold this year was $376,000 – up 2.1% from 2008.
To better understand which neighborhoods are contributing to this increase, check out the map below.
Median Sales Prices are compared – numbers quoted are % gains – 2015 over 2012 (ending 5/31).
Chicago is a series of neighborhoods and micro-neighborhoods.
To find out what’s going on in your neighborhood,
and to get an updated value for your home,
Baird & Warner
Search Homes for Sale – Select this link!
Proximity Search – Find Homes Nearby
Download my free mobile app!
Other facts worth noting:
Home Price Changes – Nationally by State
National Home Price Apprection
What size dog should I get
if I want to buy a condo in the city?
One of my favorite clients asked me this question.
Her dear family dog just died, and while she’s planning on moving to the city next year, she also wants to bring a new dog into the family.
She’s smart to ask —
There are so many dogs to love.
She wants to fall in love with the right dog now rather than limiting her condo choices later on!
“35 Pounds!” (or so I thought)
Off the top of my head I told her to get a dog that’s under 35 pounds. But then that gnawing worry attacked – where did I get 35 pounds?
So – I did my research…
I pulled up all condos that were currently for sale or recently sold in highrises (7+ stories) inthe Loop (8032), Near North (8008) and Lincoln Park (8007) census tract zones. If a bulding hasn’t had activity in over 6 months, it wasn’t part of this quick study.
I was astonished!
Here’s what I found…
I. INCONSISTENT DATA IN MLS
Of the141 buildings that came up in the search, 97 buildings had 2 or more listings. With 2 (or more) anaswers to the pet weight question, I could compare the agents’ responses to this query. NOTE: I had no ACCURATE way of determining the veracity of the agents’ reports. Only if the answers were DIFFERENT was it readily apparent that something was awry.
Consistent Reporting (2 or more agents reporting the SAME weight): 37
Inconsistent Reporting (at least one agent providing a different response to the other listing): 60
62% of listings had inconsistent data!
II. INSUFFICIENT DATA IN MLS
Some buildings have a COMBINED pet weight requirement. For example, you may be able to have 2 pets, but the combined weight must not exceed XX pounds (e.g. 80 pounds together).
III. NON-SENSICAL DATA IN MLS
Some buildings reported 20 and 25 pound limits. Inconsistent, but close.
Others, however, reported 999 pound limit for a listing in the building, a 50 pound limit for another condo in the SAME building, and 0 pounds for yet a third listing at the same address.
In fact, several agents report dog weight limits of ZERO pounds in buildings that they themselves report as dog-friendly.
IV. ONLINE SEARCH ENGINES DON’T ADDRESS THIS
When looking on Realtor.com, Zillow, and Redfin, I couldn’t find a way to find buildings that allow dogs, let alone what size dog might be permitted by the Rules and Regulations.
So, how is a buyer supposed to find a home he can live in?
1. Work with a real estate agent – onine searches are NOT going to work
2. Work with an agent who calls property managers IN ADVANCE of showings, so you don’t fall in love with a property you can’t have!
3. Identify a few buildings that could work, and do searches for THOSE buildings.
Dewey- my 10 year old Labradoodle at Montrose Beach
By the way, here are some more statistics:
34 buildings require dogs to weigh 30 pounds or less
18 more allow dogs between 35 and 60 pounds
89 buildings allow dogs that weigh more than 60 pounds, but again – these could be reporting a “combined” weight restriction!
As a pet owner for most of my life, I empathize with clients trying to find a home that welcomes their canine family members.
Perhaps in the near future, this search dilemma will be solved.
In the near term, please call me so I can help you find your new home as efficiently as possible!
Call Anne Rossley
Send me your question –
I may include it in a future “Anne Answers” post!
You may have heard the rumors about a Gold Coast high-rise at 9 Walton. Wondering what’s going on?
As of March 26, 2015, no permits had been pulled (Chicago Architecture Blog), but soil sample tests were being done.
The plan calls for a 34 story building with just 67 residences – ultra luxury, indeed!
Walton on the Park is certainly going to despise living in the shadow of this building!
Interested in seeing Floor Plans of 9 Walton?
Send me an email and I’ll forward the newly released residence and building plans!
• Elegant fully staffed lobby
• Valet Parking
• Granite paver, landscaped, covered drive court
• Indoor lap pool
• Hot tub, steam room and sauna
• State of the art workout room – including Pilates and Gyrotonic machines
(Personal training service available)
• Private dining room with professional kitchen and outdoor deck
• Indoor dog run
• Two story conditioned wine cellar with private storage available
• App based management and communication system
• House car/driver
• Dry Cleaning Service
• Electric car charging
• Guest apartment suite
• Classic precast, granite and limestone exterior
• Bronze and glass entry doors
• Post tension concrete frame
• High performance exterior windows and
• Spray foam insulation at all exterior walls
• 1 Gig internet service
• 3 high speed elevators – two passenger and one freight
• 4 pipe heating and cooling system with humidification and electronic filters
• Ten to twelve foot clear ceiling height
• Expansive private outdoor space with heaters
• Custom designed O’Brien and Harris or Bultup cabinetry
• Sub-zero and Wolf appliance package including a 48-60” range)(LaCornueFe
110 range also available as standard), separate refrigerator/ freezer, dishwasher,
under-counter wine cooler (half and full floor units include a full size wine
• A selection of Kallista or Dornbracht plumbing fixtures
• Toto toilets (Washlet series in all master baths)
• ó frameless glass shower enclosures
• Custom built marble slab master shower with steam
• Heated bathroom floors
• Exquisitely detailed marble bathrooms
• 3cm stone countertops (multiple edges available)
• Walnut or Quarter Sawn White Oak hardwood flooring (solid hardwood or
engineered is available – choice of width)
• A selection of hardwood flooring or Stark wool carpeting in all bedrooms
• Fireplace with custom carved marble mantel
• In unit lighting controls
• Pre wired for audio visual and motorized window treatments
• Multiple piece crown moldings
• Wainscoting in gallery and hallways
• Applied moldings on ceilings (per plan)
• 8” decorative wood base trim throughout
• Built in safe
• Custom master bedroom closet build-out
• Gas, electric and water at the terraces
• Recessed lighting throughout
Have a Real Estate Question?
Email me today and get your ANSWER!