For the Chicago real estate buyer who craves a condo with a view — here’s your February update.
I have been trolling these properties for one of my clients, and she settled on a lovely unit at 1160 S Michigan. It’s at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Roosevelt, just behind Trader Joe’s and next to Yolk — the building has the benefit of being “in the thick of things” — perfect for those who love to leave their home and grab a cab in a jiffy.
The northeast view from the unit is spectacular, and to get a 2100 square foot unit at $800,000 was a terrific deal!
Here are some pictures of the condo, which closed 2 weeks ago at $00,000:
Love it? Don’t Despair!
There are lots of condos available around $1MM if you love a great view — the rest of this post is dedicated to what’s available now, and I’ve included my favorites, too.
Chicago Condos for Sale — Buyer Tour
2 – 3 Bedrooms
Near North (Gold Coast/Streeterville), Loop, South Loop
Select one of the links below to see photos of these properties….
The price has been reduced since it was listed 130 days ago – the competing listing one floor below sold at $1,050,000, and it also had lovely upgrades. My client was considering this one – it’s larger and has more upgrades than the 1160 S Michigan unit, but it wasn’t worth the extra money for her needs.
Nadine did a lovely job capturing the views from this condo, don’t you think?
Margaret Carlson’s listing at 1300 Lake Shore Drive has some interesting upgrades! This view is phenomenal, both to the north AND south the East Lake Shore Drive. With a private entrance and 2200 square feet, this is a terrific unit for someone craving a great Lake Michigan view!
The most frequently requested property in Chicago is probably the 3 bedroom condo — and outdoor space of some kind is usually a “must have” for today’s buyers.
This post includes information for 3 bedrooms in 3 Chicago neighborhoods – Near North (including Streeterville and the Gold Coast), the Loop, and the Near South Side (South Loop).
Three Bedroom Sales Statistics
Three bedroom condos in the South Loop, Loop, and Near North are listed (on average) at $ 1.3MM, and they range in price from $ 335,000 to $5,900,000. There are currently 271 condos for sale in these neighborhoods, and 336 have sold over the last 6 months — the inventory is low right now!
The properties that sold were under contract in an average of 97 days, and they sold for 96% of the listed price at the time of contract. (Many had price reductions during the listing — the sales price was 89% of the ORIGINAL listed price.)
1325 N State Parkway – Tom and I lived there for over 10 years – we happened upon the top floor unit facing west, and when the next door unit came on the market, we snapped it up and combined the two. We ended up with 2650 square feet on one level in Chicago’s Gold Coast.
Only when Michael (our second) was due to come home from Paraguay did we finally decide to move to a single family. In retrospect, we didn’t have to leave. We could have raised our kids there.
1325 N State is one of a few Gold Coast condominiums whose floor plans are large and wonderful – the 2 bedrooms offer 1650 square feet – much larger than the typical 1200 square foot condominium in Chicago.
10. Jim, the old doorman. Slow as molasses but generally happy. The most laughable moment, when we brought Thomas home and he said, “Oh, he’s a dark baby!”
9. Valet parking – the parking garage was attached – no walking in the cold when setting off to my next destination! Guests could park at fairly cheap rates, when using my coupons.
8. Being part of the crowd when Chicago celebrates – we yelled out the window and ran to Rush Street when the Bulls won their first and third championships with Michael Jordan.
7. Being able to walk to work. Most of my real estate career has been in a Gold Coast office location. I could get to work in 10 minutes on foot. We walked to great restaurants and shopping, and we didn’t need to drive when returning from The Lodge or the Zebra Lounge!
6. Storage – believe it or not, I had more storage in my condo than in my 2 vintage single family homes!
5. Accessibility to Lincoln Park and the lakefront – we used to walk to the Lincoln Park Zoo with Thomas – in those days, we could feed the ducks (now there are signs prohibiting this activity!).
4. The roof deck and pool — not that I am a sun worshipper or swimmer, but I love the opportunity to pretend I am from time to time!
3. Neighbors – we met some terrific people in that building, many of whom we’re still in touch with today – 16 years later.
2. Views – we didn’t have spectacular lake views, as we faced the west. We did, however, have large windows with a panoramic cityscape. Sunsets were gorgeous and the city sparkled at night.
1. Living in one of the great neighborhoods (Gold Coast) in the world’s greatest city (Chicago!)
If you’re interested in seeing large 2 bedroom condos for sale,
or to get information on Chicago Real Estate in general,
2650 Lakeview, built in 1972 and converted to condominiums in 1979, is one of the premier condominium buildings overlooking Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan.
It’s a full-amenity building, offering the following*:
1 indoor pool
3 fitness center
4 3 sundecks
5 tennis courts
6 attached garage
7 hospitality room with panoramic views of Lake Michigan
I recently sold a one bedroom facing north – the seller had been relocated but had previously purchased 3 units in the building over the years. Three bedrooms don’t become available very often – they are sometimes sold “in-house” as owners just post “For Sale” signs on the community bulletin board
* 2650 Lakeview has a no pet policy.
To get today’s list of condos for sale at 2650 N Lakeview, select this link: