Astor Street- the crown of the Gold Coast – Chicago’s premier Near North neighborhood…
What does a home cost on Astor Street?
The homes for sale range from $2,385,000 to $8,000,000.
1242 N Astor
1442 N Astor
Tour Astor Street Homes
Select one of the links below to see homes for sale and homes that have recently sold on Chicago’s famous Astor Street
Computer (pdf) Format Tablet Format
How Big are the Homes on Astor?
Several homes are 10,000 or more square feet – the smallest home that’s for sale or sold over the last 3 years has been 4500 square feet.
Homes for Sale and Recently Sold
The following chart includes homes currently for sale, as well as property that has recently closed. Contact Anne Rossley for more information on these listings.
|Stat||Street #||Str Name||List Price||Sold Pr||Closed Date||ASF||Rms||BR||BA||Cars||MT||Taxes||Built||Lot||Rehab?
|ACTV||1308||Astor||$2,500,000||NR||9||4||4.1||1||181||$45,755.00||1887||18' 6 X 100||Yes
|PCHG||1224||Astor||$4,250,000||NR||11||5||5.1||1||615||$26,100.00||1909||24 X 90||Yes
|CLSD||1431||Astor||$4,200,000||$3,675,000||12/13/07||NR||15||5||4.3||2||872||$36,256.04||1894||25 X 125||
|CLSD||1511||Astor||$4,300,000||$4,300,000||4/2/07||8545||18||6||4.1||0||9||$38,235.00||30 X 125||
|CLSD||1520||Astor||$4,950,000||$4,425,000||3/13/08||6100||12||4||4.2||1||893||$30,279.22||1911||30 X 110||
|CLSD||1451||Astor||$6,100,000||$5,250,000||3/17/08||7000||13||6||7.1||2||310||$29,441.77||1910||28.5 X 125||Yes
Historic Charnley House
Get information on Charnley House – Select this link
Other links of Interest:
History – Gold Coast Neighbors Association
Chicago Landmarks Page
Potter Palmer Houses – Designslinger
Joseph Ryerson House
Junior League of Chicago
Frommer’s Walking Tour
MetroWalkz Self-Guided Tour
The Archbishop’s Residence in the Gold Coast
Marking a Spot in the City’s History
Curbed Chicago – John Wellborn Root’s Home – 1310 Astor
StreetAdvisor Question this week:
Can a couple live affordably in Chicago’s Loop?
In order to answer the question, we need to know how much it costs to live there, and then based on the current interest rates, determine monthly costs. From that, we can figure out how much income one needs to purchase this mythical condo.
If the couple lives in a One Bedroom condo in Chicago’s Loop, Near North, or South Loop Neighborhoods….
I did research on 1,2, and 3 bedroom condos in Chicago’s Near North (8008), Loop (8032) and Near South (8033) neighborhoods, and I discovered the following:
- One bedroom sales have increased between 20% and 36% in the 3 neighborhoods
- Average taxes range between $ 3364 and $ 3723 per year.
- Average assessments range between $ 445.39 (South Loop) to $ 590.26 in the Gold Coast.
Cost to Live in a One Bedroom Condo
Let’s determine the monthly cost of one of these one bedroom condos.
Purchase Price: $ 230,000
Down Payment: $23,000
Interest Rate: 4.5%
Debt Ratio 28% of Gross Income
Monthly Payment Resulting from these assumptions:
Principal and Interest: $ 1841
Taxes: $291.67 (or, $ 292)
Gross Monthly Payment: $1841
Annual Tax Savings for Federal and Illinois: $3254 (from Bankrate.com)
Net Monthly Payment (not including property tax savings): $1569
What do you have to Earn To Afford This Purchase?
Lenders usually allow for more debt than this, but when I first became a Realtor in 1987, the 28% rule was always followed. (Part of why we got into trouble in 2008 was our relaxing of this 28/36 debt ratio.)
28% debt ratio means that the gross monthly payment can be no more 28% of the gross monthly income.
For this example, $1841 / 28% = $ 6575 per month.
Annual Income Required: $ 6575 x 12 = 78,900.
Two Bedroom Condos –
Loop, Near North, Near South
Three Bedroom Condo Prices –
Loop, Near North, Near South
Want to Learn More about condos in the Loop, Near North, or Near South Neighborhoods?
Are you ready to begin the first steps toward owning a condominium in Chicago?
Contact Anne Rossley
of Baird & Warner today!
The most frequently requested property in Chicago is probably the 3 bedroom condo — and outdoor space of some kind is usually a “must have” for today’s buyers.
This post includes information for 3 bedrooms in 3 Chicago neighborhoods – Near North (including Streeterville and the Gold Coast), the Loop, and the Near South Side (South Loop).
Three Bedroom Sales Statistics
Three bedroom condos in the South Loop, Loop, and Near North are listed (on average) at $ 1.3MM, and they range in price from $ 335,000 to $5,900,000. There are currently 271 condos for sale in these neighborhoods, and 336 have sold over the last 6 months — the inventory is low right now!
The properties that sold were under contract in an average of 97 days, and they sold for 96% of the listed price at the time of contract. (Many had price reductions during the listing — the sales price was 89% of the ORIGINAL listed price.)
Click Here for Condo Sales Data for the Loop, Near North, and South Loop Neighborhoods
# Months Supply of 3 Bedroom Condos
Average Sales Prices of 3 Bedroom Condos
See What’s for Sale Today…
Select the appropriate link below and see what 3 bedroom condos are listed now:
Best 3 Bedroom Condos for Sale
$500,000 – $800,000
While 3 bedroom condos average over $1MM in these neighborhoods, I’ve found some terrific properties for sale between $500,000 and $800,000. Below are my top choices in what’s available today.
Take an online tour of these homes when you select this link.
Make an Appointment to find your Chicago Condo!
Contact Anne Rossley of Baird & Warner
| || ||Unit|| ||List Price||SF||Days||RMS||BR||BA||EXP||Incl?
1325 N State Parkway – Tom and I lived there for over 10 years – we happened upon the top floor unit facing west, and when the next door unit came on the market, we snapped it up and combined the two. We ended up with 2650 square feet on one level in Chicago’s Gold Coast.
Only when Michael (our second) was due to come home from Paraguay did we finally decide to move to a single family. In retrospect, we didn’t have to leave. We could have raised our kids there.
1325 N State is one of a few Gold Coast condominiums whose floor plans are large and wonderful – the 2 bedrooms offer 1650 square feet – much larger than the typical 1200 square foot condominium in Chicago.
To see current listings of large 2 bedrooms
for sale in Chicago’s Gold Coast —
Here’s the list of what I miss most
about living at 1325 N State Parkway:
10. Jim, the old doorman. Slow as molasses but generally happy. The most laughable moment, when we brought Thomas home and he said, “Oh, he’s a dark baby!”
9. Valet parking – the parking garage was attached – no walking in the cold when setting off to my next destination! Guests could park at fairly cheap rates, when using my coupons.
8. Being part of the crowd when Chicago celebrates – we yelled out the window and ran to Rush Street when the Bulls won their first and third championships with Michael Jordan.
7. Being able to walk to work. Most of my real estate career has been in a Gold Coast office location. I could get to work in 10 minutes on foot. We walked to great restaurants and shopping, and we didn’t need to drive when returning from The Lodge or the Zebra Lounge!
6. Storage – believe it or not, I had more storage in my condo than in my 2 vintage single family homes!
5. Accessibility to Lincoln Park and the lakefront – we used to walk to the Lincoln Park Zoo with Thomas – in those days, we could feed the ducks (now there are signs prohibiting this activity!).
4. The roof deck and pool — not that I am a sun worshipper or swimmer, but I love the opportunity to pretend I am from time to time!
3. Neighbors – we met some terrific people in that building, many of whom we’re still in touch with today – 16 years later.
2. Views – we didn’t have spectacular lake views, as we faced the west. We did, however, have large windows with a panoramic cityscape. Sunsets were gorgeous and the city sparkled at night.
1. Living in one of the great neighborhoods (Gold Coast) in the world’s greatest city (Chicago!)
If you’re interested in seeing large 2 bedroom condos for sale,
or to get information on Chicago Real Estate in general,
| || ||Unit||Closed Date||Listed||Sold ||ASF||$/SF||Days||Rooms||BR||BA
1325 N State Parkway – 2013 Sales
To see photos and get information on condos that sold in 2013, select one of the following links.
IPAD version for 1325 N State
Desktop (pdf) version for 1325 N State
It’s a race! Who will put an offer together first to win this BEST VALUE condominium?!
The sellers didn’t expect to sell, so their finest-quality upgrades will be enjoyed by the new residents for a fraction of the value!
Here are just of few of the many upgrades included in 777 N Michigan #2401:
- Solid Brazilian cherry floors throughout
- Luxury Kitchen with Fischer & Paykel dishwasher, Subzero, drawer microwave, Dacor cooktop…
- Matching custom cabinet with Subzero refrigerator/freezer drawers
- Solid custom doors and hardware, as well as custom HVAC cabinets
- Top-of-the-line ventless Bosch washer-dryer
- Built-in den/library with brand new Uline beverage refrigerator
- Every bathroom (3.5 of them!) has been upgraded
777 N Michigan Amenities
The building is topnotch! Located next to Nieman Marcus, the building offers
- luxurious rooftop pool with comfy gazebos and grilling area,
- new fitness center (currently under construction and opening in November)
- soon-to-be-added hallway updates
- 24 – hour door service
- Valet Parking ($150/month)
- Receiving Room
- Party Room
- Premium Cable/Wifi in assessments (as well as heat and air)
Views from the Living Room
777 N Michigan Floor Plan
For more information, to view the property, or to learn more about condominiums along the Magnificent Mile, contact
Baird & Warner
401 E Ontario is a terrific East Streeterville building, and I saw a terrific loft-like condo there last week that sold (twice) almost immediately.
The building was built in 1989, and 394 studios, 1,2, and 3 bedroom units are found on the 50 floors. It’s a full amenity building – get information on the amenities by selecting the links toward the bottom of this post.
It’s a gorgeous building in a fabulous location – views from units can be wonderful, however that wasn’t the point of this condo – it was the flexibility of space and high ceilings/windows that aren’t found in most Streeterville condos, combined with the beautiful finishes that make it a very special property.
This unit (note – it’s not my listing – I was representing the buyer) isn’t like most of the units in the building, but it enjoys the same amenities! My buyer passed on it, reluctantly, for personal reasons. We both loved it, though, and we aren’t surprised it was snapped up immediately.
Check out some of the photos here:
- In this market, make sure you work with an agent who’s constantly on the prowl to find units that meet your needs.
- Sign up for search alerts on agent websites so you have instant access to new listings the moment they become available.
- Often, it’s not how much off the listing price that matters- it’s the value compared to other similar properties that have SOLD and how the property compares to your individual needs.
- The appraisal must be high enough in price qualify for your loan, but that number isn’t derived from the listing price, either.
401 E Ontario Amenities:
Special Streeterville Condo Searches
Streeterville One Bedrooms for Sale – Select this link to find Streeterville 1 Bedrooms for sale TODAY!
Streeterville Two Bedrooms for Sale – Select this link to find Streeterville 2 Bedrooms for sale TODAY!
To have a special search created just for you, select this link and include your search parameters.
401 E Ontario Sales Analysis
Note: some units include parking while others do not — check with your real estate agent or call Anne Rossley to get more information on sales at 401 E Ontario.
|CLSD||606||$230,000||$230,000||0||10/8/12||151||1||1||S E W
|CLSD||506||$200,000||$199,000||700||$284.29||11/19/12||193||1||1||S E W