The Chicago Bungalow Initiative sponsors “how to” seminars for owners of these historic vintage homes, or for those who want to buy them!
The spring series includes how-to seminars on home rehabs and rehab loans. The lectures will also include information on creating your own garden and about maintaining your masonry exterior and tuckpointing. Readers know I’m a huge fan of the Chicago Bungalow. Recently, North Mayfair was named the best neighborhood in the US for bungalows and first time buyers. Other great historic bungalow neighborhoods are found in Chicago’s real estate market — Albany Park, West Ridge, and more.
The Chicago TaxSmart rehab loan program has been on hiatus, but it will resume in Q2 2010. The Bungalow seminar will explain how to take advantage of this home improvement tax savings.
March – Make the House you Have the Home you Want
- Wednesday, March 10 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the Sulzer Branch Library;
- Thursday, March 18 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the West Belmont Branch Library
- Wednesday, March 24 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the Avalon Branch Library
Room remodeling, kitchen and bath renovations, attics, pattern drawings and more. Architect Julia Liska will answer the audience’s renovation questions. A representative from the City of Chicago’s Department of Community Development will discuss how TaxSmart Rehab loans can help make a planned project a reality.
April – A Garden for Every Home
- Monday, April 12 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the Avalon Branch Library
- Wednesday, April 14 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the Sulzer Branch Library
- Tuesday, April 20 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the West Belmont Branch Library
Gardening and planting.– attendees will learn about front and back lawn landscaping, sustainable plantings, flower boxes and more with Susan Kegan from Christy Webber Landscapes.
May – Bungalow Masonry: Keeping up Appearances, Keeping down Energy Costs
- Monday, May 3 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the Avalon Branch Library
- Thursday, May 6 from 7:00 to 8:15PM at the Sulzer Branch Library
- Thursday, May 13 from 6:30 to 7:45PM at the West Belmont Branch Library
The importance of maintaining your Bungalow’s masonry, not just for great curb appeal, but also for ensuring your home’s energy efficiency.
Other links of interest:
Chicago Neighborhood Home Tours – including Albany Park and Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village (new tour!)